Starts November 21st
With Christmas approaching, we are reminding people to repurpose, reuse, repair and recycle in order to reduce waste and save resources before and during the festive season!
The European Week for Waste Reduction (EWWR) encourages all Europeans to practice and carry out awareness-raising actions about sustaining resources and managing waste during a single week in November and after!
European Week for Waste Reduction (EWWR) runs from November 21st until November 29th 2020. The focus of the week is on reducing invisible waste created in all EU States including Ireland.
Invisible waste” refers to the large amount of waste generated during the manufacturing process for products. Did you know to manufacture a smartphone weighing less than 200 grams and create its beautiful packaging generates an unbelievable 86 kilograms of waste – about as heavy as a large Kangaroo! (Click 86 KG to watch the video)
This year, the EWWR challenges you to get informed and raise awareness on the huge amount of waste that we all unconsciously generate. You can encourage a range of audiences including family, friends, elected councillors, local business, and your community to do more at a local level to reduce waste.
- Some objectives for you might be:
- to raise awareness about waste reduction, product reuse and material recycling at home, in school or work
- to decide on actions to reduce waste – e.g. reduce packaging from shopping.
- communicate actions with others in your network
- try to communicate in a way which leads to simple behaviour changes regarding buying and waste creation.
If you wish you can take part of the EWWR in three different ways:
- Action developer: this is for public authorities, associations, NGOs, businesses, educational establishments, another bodies or individual citizens interested in carrying out an awareness-raising action on waste reduction, reuse or recycling during next EWWR
- Participants: this is for an individual or a group wanting to participate in an action taking place during the EWWR
- EWWR Coordinator: this is for a public authority competent in the field of waste prevention, interested in coordinating the Week in your area
Read more about European Week for Waste Reduction and how to take part here
To learn more or get involved in European Week for Waste Reduction please visit the website
This is also an area of concern which you might like to read about – Invisible but everywhere – the growing spread of microplastics via The Irish Times – click here to open.
About Recycle IT
Recycle IT is a friendly, needs driven recycler, recycling all types of waste electrical and electronic equipment. Collections are offered to homes, communities, educators and charities at no charge. Community engagement is achieved in many ways including building good relationships, offering collections and providing people with real help in lifting and moving equipment. Recycle IT engage young and old, schools, charities and business and encourage reduce, reuse and recycle with the message reinforced through flyers, community events, workshops, newsletters, regular blog posts and recognition.
Please note – door to door community collections are on hold during Covid 19 restrictions
You can email Recycle IT here, call our team on 01 4578321 or visit our website www.recycleit.ie to get more information.